Monday, February 20, 2012

For Dad

I wrote this for my dad, for myself (therapeutic) and for anyone else who can relate.

It's been over 2 yrs since I learned my dad has Parkinson's Disease
This shocking diagnosis brought me to my knees
What would the future hold for my beloved dad?
Feelings flooded over me like hopeless, sad and mad
I immersed myself in research, grasping at straws
He could take this experimental drug but oh, it has some flaws
I looked for signs and new symptoms every time we'd visit
Is that a new tremor, dad? This one's new, isn't it?
But through his shaky hands and his shuffling gait
Something made me pause and say "Pam, just wait"
My dad is still my dad.
He thinks, he feels, he loves
He gives me great advice and cheers me when I'm bugged
And if there comes a time he can't communicate with me
I'll know just what he wants to say, for he is part of me
He may have an awful disease that makes us wait and see
But he's taught me how to deal with all of life's adversity
So here is my message to Parkinson's Disease
My dad will always be my dad
You can't take him from me!

No comments: