Thursday, August 27, 2009

Em and M at 3.5

The girls are three-and-a-half now. It's quite amazing how fast the time has gone. In my mid-twenties I remember a conversation my dad and I had about time and how fast it goes. He said "wait until you have kids." Ain't that the truth. Someone asked me the other day if my girls are in school. I said no, but they will be in junior kindergarten in 2010. Then I realized that 2010 is next year! So a year pretty much to the week, my little girls will be gearing up for their first day of school. Wow. I am pretty sure I will miss it since I am a teacher, and John will do the drop-off. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but I can't change it (imagine me calling in sick on the first day of school)! ha ha! I would be a wreck anyway, I cry just thinking about it! But now I am getting ahead of myself. I do get a bit sappy when I think of my life now, and how different it is than before I had the girls. I remember when they were nothing but a hope and a dream and I remind myself often how lucky I am to have them. They really complete me and I feel a fullness in my life I never had before. Those of you with kids of your own will probably know what I mean.

John and I are reading up a bit on different discipline strategies. Our kids are fortunately very good, but as kids will do, they test their limits. I am a big fan of attachment parenting in terms of discipline. This does not mean letting kids do whatever. AP definately has boundaries, but the basis of the philosophy is to raise children who are respectful and compassionate. Distraction, re-directing, expecting obedience and talking/listening are all part of this parenting style. It's interesting and it fits in with our personalities for the most part. But we still use time-outs (this is anti-AP as it can be seen of a withdrawal of love) but time outs work for us! I like reading a lot of different styles and I take some and leave some depending on my own beliefs and common sense.

Interestingly enough, Emma has been the one to ask for her soother the odd time since the soother fairy visited (a few weeks ago). I was so sure Maddie would have had the hardest time, but she gave it up without batting an eye! Who knew? Just when you think you know your kids! lol

Funny story: Emma asked John yesterday if he had a baby in is belly! Time to hit the gym hubby of mine!

No comments: