Monday, May 26, 2008

First day of "real school!"

Our beloved "Auntie" Julie, who takes care of the girls is in BC watching her youngest son graduate from University. We were lucky enough to get the girls enrolled in the daycare that is in my school for the week. I had to fill out a ton of paperwork, and one of the forms asked me to write how I thought the girls would adjust to daycare. I wrote that Emma would be fine, and that Maddie might take a little longer to adjust to the new setting. Well, just like at every doctor's appointment when I would make a prediction as to how they would fare, they proved me wrong. Emma cried (albeit very briefly) when I left and Madison traipsed right in. They both ended up having a great day. They napped in big girls cots, they drank from big girl cups, did arts and crafts, played outside etc. I could barely wait until the bell rang before I ran downstairs to see them (I deliberately didn't peek in during the day as I didn't want them to see me and want to come with me). When I walked in all the kids were sitting in a circle. Emma and Maddie's backs were to me and they just looked like such big girls sitting there with their hands in their laps listening to the story. I felt such a surge of emotion well up that I had to take a minute or two before going in or I would have for sure broken into tears, but happy ones. I will not soon forget that image in my head of my two daughters participating in circle time at school. On the way home Maddie said "mama, go play place" (play place is what I used to "sell" the daycare to the girls before dropping them off for the first time). I said "you want to go back to the play place?" and Maddie said "yes." I said "tomorrow" and she said "no, now." So she had a slight tantrum in the car, but for a good reason! lol I am glad that they are enjoying it. Now watch, they won't want to go back to their beloved Auntie Julie's! In spite of the success today, they are so well cared for at Julie's that we are not at this time considering keeping them at the center. It's good to know that they adapted well, and hopefully they will do the same when we send them to their summer daycare part time.

Over the weekend we went to Ottawa to visit Dad and Anna and we had a great time. The girls didn't nap on the way up but they were remarkably in good spirits Friday night. Emma didn't want to sleep in the crib, she cried for her own crib, but it didn't last long. Emma got really attached to grandpa this weekend. She followed him around and only wanted him to push her in the swing. When I went to get her out of her crib Sunday morning the first thing she said was "where my grandpa?" She asked about grandpa today (we are back at home)! It's nice to see. At times it seemed they knew the difference between grandpa and grandma, but it could be a fluke. Madison gave grandma her special books, which is a huge compliment as she takes those things everywhere. It's nice that the girls remember them and enjoy going.

It is now starting to rain, with thunder and lightning and I am all in a panic that it will wake the girls up! Let's hope they sleep right through it!

No comments: