Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day 2008

We enjoyed great family outings for Mother's Day. We went to Lionel's Petting Zoo, which the girls love and Ontario Place. Ontario Place has this great toddler area where the girls climbed foam pieces and went through tunnels to slide down the slides. They also had a gravity thingy where you put a ball on top of an opening, and then you would try to catch it. Maddie wasn't really interested in it (she preferred organizing the crayons into different sections) but Emma actually caught the ball a few times! We went with Kaitlyn, Jenn and Jeff, and the girls had a great time.

The Petting Zoo was equally fun. The girls were both so brave, feeding celery stalks to all the animals (donkeys, goats, llamas, deer, bunnies etc). A small crowd gathered around to watch the girls feed them as they would squeal and giggle with delight every time. Emma even made sure all the animals got their fair share. She would say "how bout dat one?" and we would go over to feed "dat one." So cute. Maddie was a bit apprehensive at times, and we noticed that she puts her hands to her cheeks, the same way she holds her books at night when she is nervous. It must be her way to soothe herself. So sweet!

I got beautiful homemade cards from the girls for Mother's Day. They had cut out outlines of their little hands and glued them on. The cards were decorated by them, with pompoms glued on, sparkles and their special marker decorations. I also got two puzzle-piece frames with a black and white picture of each of my sweethearts. They both greeted me in the morning by saying "Happy Mother's Day" and they said "Happy Birthday" a few times too(even though my birthday is in September - they associate gift-giving with birthdays). I found this poem and I thought it was appropriate for the cards that they made:

Sometimes I might upset you
Just because I am so small
By leaving finger prints of mine
On a table, chair or wall.
But everyday I grow a bit
and I'll be big one day
When all my tiny fingerprints
Have long been cleaned away
So keep these prints of my two hands
To help you to recall
Just how big my fingers were
that time when I was small.

I hope I always remember this time when they are small. They are such wonderful girls!

No comments: