Friday, May 30, 2008

What a mouthful!

Those who have been around Emma may have first-hand experience in how chatty she can be. She is quite a talker, and at 2 her doctor said she has the vocabulary of an almost 3-year-old. As I was looking through my baby book last week, I read that at 14-months, my vocabulary list was pretty extensive as well, so she gets her gabbiness from moi! So John and I have been pretty impressed when lately she has said "mummy, what are you doing?" when I am out of her line of vision. Imagine our total surprise when today she said "I want sit down on couch now please." Holly Hannah! John looked at me and said "did you hear that?" I closed my mouth that was hanging on the floor and said "yeah, did we hear right?" She asked again, so yes, we heard right. That is by far the longest sentence she has ever said. And not only does she say long sentences, but she speaks so clearly too. Maddie is catching up with her vocabulary. She cuts off the first letter of every word. If you ask her what her name is she says "Addison." When she is calling Matt, Sue's boyfriend, she says "At." She can pronounce "m's" as she says Mummy clearly, but sometimes she decides to leave off that first letter. Her speech is a lot more choppy than Emma's, but she is starting to get more of a flow.

Today was their last day at the daycare in my school. Julie is back so they will be going there on Monday. After school I took the girls upstairs to my friend Barb's classroom. She teaches grade 2 and she has baby chicks in her room that hatched just yesterday. The girls ran over to the chicks and said "duckies! Dey cute!" They pet them and then Maddie wanted to hold one. She loves animals and she is so gentle, so she held her two hands out together and Barb put the chick in her hand. She giggled and said "tickles." Emma wanted to hold one as well and she said the same thing. They were so gentle and so interested in the little chicks it was very cute. We got some pictures of them so I will try and post them once I figure out how to do that! Barb also has caterpillars in a terrarium in her room and the girls waved and said hi to the caterpillar. When John got home they told him that they held the baby duckies on own! lol If the weather is nice we will take them to the petting zoo this weekend. They love it there!

No comments: