Sunday, February 21, 2010

Outdoor Skating Rink

On one of my runs the other week I came across an outdoor week within a few blocks of our house. Of course John ran right over to check it out. The town of Aurora maintains it and there is even a hockey net on it. It is quite a large size. We haven't been able to go on it lately as it's been too cold, but yesterday with the mild weather we decided to try it out. It was great fun. The girls still use their skating trainer thingies but they are getting more adventurous and using it less and less each time. This rink was less slippery than the indoor rink, so that helped, but it was a lot bumpier so it made for a few spills. After a few minutes of skating they got John's hockey stick, and the stick of another child who wasn't using it and they started shooting it into the net. They would yell "he shoots he scores" and John would correct them with "she shoots she scores" (my dad would be proud)! They had a blast. After that wore thin they decided they wanted to put their boots on and roll down a nearby hill instead. They were laughing hysterically while doing that and had a great time. They came home with big smiles and rosy cheeks. I love when we do active things as a family. I hope they find something they love to do that keeps them healthy and fit. They already want to go running with me when they are bigger. I hope they do, I think that'd be great fun!

No comments: