Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Bad Mummy

I know mum's are super busy, always muti-tasking and sometimes get distracted, so I am trying not to beat myself up about this too much. Read on and please share your own "bad" mummy stories if you have any! I picked the girls up from daycare. Normally I put Emma in her carseat and Julie puts Maddie in (she is such a kind lady, she always comes outside to help me bring the girls outside, even in the freezing cold weather)! Today, Madison was throwing a MAJOR tantrum at daycare pick-up because Emma ran to me first. They are going through a phase where they do not want to share me. So when Emma runs to me, I pick her up, and Maddie was having none of it. She wanted to be picked up, so the tantrum began. We finally calmed her down, after she repeatedly hit her head on the hardwood floor. So, I took Madison out to the car. They were particularly fussy today so we put on the dvd player, so they could watch "Ratatouille", their current favourite movie. So, Julie was putting Emma in her carseat and she said "I am having trouble with the bottom clip, I can only do the top." I said I would be right over. So I went over and the dvd player wasn't working (the remote batteries were dead) and I started fiddling with that and got distracted. When I got to the 404, a few exits away from ours, I glanced in the rearview mirror and I thought "why is Emma so low, and why is she able to reach the cords that dangle from the portable dvd player?"! Then it hit me, and I thought the pit of my stomach would fall out: I never fastened the bottom part of her carseat. I pulled over, got out of the car, and when I opened the door, Emma was sitting there, with her pants down to her ankles, the only thing keeping her in were the shoulder straps. I said "Emma, why are your jeans off?" She said "Don't want on." So, we put the jeans back on, fastened her in properly, and went home. Thank goodness, we got there safely!

No comments: