Monday, February 25, 2008

Daddy's Girl/The Twin Phenomenon

What I constantly find amazing about having twins, is how often their personalities switch. People always ask me who the "good" one is and who the "troublemaker" is and to be honest, that answer can change by the minute. Some of you know that in Emma's first few months she was quite colicky and needed a lot of attention. Madison was very laid back and independent from an early age. I spent a lot of time soothing Emma, leaving Maddie time to bond with John. It seems like Emma just gravitated towards me and Madison to John. These days, while Emma is still very cuddly and affectionate towards me, her and John are new best buds. They are always laughing together, playing, they lay on the floor today just talking. Emma hears the garage door opening and she squeals "daddy home" and runs to the door where she is standing waiting for him as soon as he opens it. Maddie, on the other hand, wants nothing to do with him and sometimes runs the other way when he goes near her. He is taking it in stride, and he knows it is just a phase, but I know it breaks his heart. I try to reassure him that it will change on a dime again, after all, girls adore their dads (I adore mine)!

Another thing people who have twins always tell me is that they have their own language. I am just starting to witness this as well. The two of them will be playing together and when I stop to listen, they are having a full blown conversation with each other. Most of the words I can't make out (and these days, I do know what they are saying 98% of the time, so this must be the twin language they are making up). Emma will say something, then pause, and Madison responds, and then back and forth for quite some time. It is an actual conversation and I find it fascinating to listen to and watch them interact. They may hit, fight, push and scream at each other one minute, but the next they are playing happily together: best friends forever.

No comments: