Monday, February 4, 2008

Cranky-pants 1 and 2

Ok, so the day started off pretty well. Of course we had to go in and wake them up (why couldn't they sleep in on the weekends, and wake-up early on the weekdays, I do not know). Madison was sitting there with her books, as per usual. Emma was lying down, but her head popped up as soon as she heard the door open. John and I went in and brought them downstairs. The morning routine was pretty uneventful. When I dropped them off at daycare, they ran in and I had to call them back for my kiss goodbye. I always insist on that and they are usually pretty receptive! Madison said "lip kiss" which is what I say when they turn their heads and give me their cheek. So I got my kiss on the lips from both and them Emma said "bye mum" (I just think that is so funny, calling me mum as well as mummy) and Maddie said "see you" and they pushed the door closed behind me as I was saying "have a good day, I love you." So much for the days of clinging to me and not wanting me to leave.

After school I went to get them, and they ran to the door to greet me (my favourite part). Then Julie told me that they haven't napped because of their colds. So I knew we were in for it. It started with Emma not wanting to go into her carseat. Instead she wanted to play with the hook on the inside of the van door, you know, the one that you can hang your dry cleaning off of. I told her she could pull it out once, which she did. This was not enough for her. I told her it would have to be enough and I want her to get into her carseat. She arched her back, stuck her legs out straight and I was practically sitting on her to get her strapped in. It took me 3-4 tries, because each time I got one arm in and went to get the other, she would pull the first arm out. It ended in her crying real tears, and me sweating buckets muttering under my breath. Maddie just sat there watching with that impish grin of hers. I had just started reversing out of Julie's driveway when they screamed "snack, want snack." I gave them their container full of cheerios, and I could just picture the look of disdain on their faces. They don't want cheerios, they want their Princess snacks (fruit-flavoured chewy bits). I didn't have any left, which I explained to them. At this point, I am almost certain that, before dumping all of her cheerios in the floor of the van screaming "don't want it", Emma threw a couple at my head. What felt like an hour, but was only 25 minutes later, we were home. The evening consisted of either one or the other constantly in my arms (while the other was in John's) as they were so tired, and so clingy. When they weren't in our arms they were clamouring up our legs, reaching for us and sobbing. Finally, at 6:15 Emma said "I seepy mummy" and so we changed them, gave them their bottles, and put them to bed at 6:24. Hopefully they will feel better tomorrow!

No comments: