Saturday, February 9, 2008

Like Mother Like Daughters

Today was a great day with the girls. It started at 7:00 and we came downstairs for our bottles. After bottles we hung out on the couch and Emma still seemed like she hadn't quite woken up. She lay on the couch, on her tummy, with her hands tucked under her (straight down under her body). Those of you who know me, know this is how I sleep. Madison also picked up one of my habits. She sleeps with the rubber part of her cloth book right on her face. I sleep, I mean, I slept (wink wink) with my stuffed dog's ear on my face. Must be in the genes. Emma was particularly cuddly today. At one point she didn't want me to put her down for even a second, and I said "who's a silly goose, is Emma a silly goose?" and she said "no, Emma no goosey. Maddie goosey." Maddie just grinned! We headed to Toys R Us to pick up some new BPA-free bottles. One of the employees who was helping us said "bye honey" as we left the section and Emma replied "bye honey!" What a social gal. Madison had her toy phone with her, and she talks to "gampa" on it all the time. She had a bit of a fit as we were leaving the store, because I put her hood up (it was snowing) and she said "no hood, gampa, gampa." She couldn't put the phone to her ear when her hood was on, so she got her hair wet while we walked to the car, but at least she could talk to "gampa." If only she would talk to Grandpa when she is using a real phone. Instead she just stares at the phone and giggles. While we were out, John's friend called, and he asked Emma to say hi. She said "Hi gampa." The girls seem to associate the phone with my dad. We went to a different mall, where they could walk around and burn off some energy. We don't put them in strollers anymore, unless we are going to be long. We like to let them walk. Our only rule is they have to hold onto our hands. So I was holding Maddie's hand, and Emma was holding John's hand. We started to walk, and then we noticed that the girls weren't moving yet. We looked down and realized that they were holding each other's hands too. So, we walked as a family hand in hand around the mall. John and I kept looking at each other saying "that's the cutest thing we have ever seen." And it wasn't forced. Sometimes we will say "give Emma a hug, or give Maddie a kiss, you love your sister." It seems today they didn't need telling, they happily held hands almost the entire time. I say almost, because when they were rolling around on the floor of the Bay because we wouldn't let them touch the soap dispensers, they were NOT holding hands. They were too busy flinging their jackets off while flailing around in the middle of the aisle. Once they were back on track, things were great. We got in the van and Maddie said "mummy, shopping, fun." Yep, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

No comments: