Thursday, February 7, 2008

Snow Day Part 2

As you Ontarians know, we got hit with a foot of snow last night. That's the second "bad" snow storm in less than a week. I foolishly bought into the news media and their hype, and I stayed home. They kept going on about staying home if you have to, and how nasty the drive in was etc etc. Turns out, it took a little more time, but it wasn't that bad. I should have gone in. Dealing with 29 10-year-olds is a heck of a lot easier than dealing with Emma and Madison, when they are having a "moment"! Today started at 7:00 a.m when I heard Emma yell "no, stop." Madison responded by bursting into tears. Not sure what was going on in there and I can't fathom what Emma wanted to stop. I brought them downstairs and explained that we would be staying home today. They seemed happy about that. We had bottles and I changed them with only minor incident (keep reading what happens when I try and put on Emma's shirt). John and I worked out a good system, as Emma can be a real handful when she doesn't want to be changed. It often takes two of us to get the job done. So now, we lie them on the mat and prop them up with a pillow, and they feed themselves their bottles, while we change them. It works like a charm. By the time they are finished their bottles, they have clean diapers, their clothes are on and they are ready to go. Things went smoothly until around 7:30, when they started to fight over every toy in sight (starting with their coupe car). We had hitting, hair pulling, kicking, pushing and soother throwing (this one is the funniest, especially when they yank the other person's soother out of their mouths and throw it across the room). Of course we are trying to teach them about sharing, and they know what it means, they just don't like to do it. We take turns with the toys, which usually means while one person plays, the other one is throwing a tantrum, and then they switch. I have read that kids don't really start to share until age 3-4, so we have a ways to go. Madison then had the tantrum of all tantrums when John left to shovel the snow. She either didn't want him to go, or she wanted to go with him. We still aren't sure. Things have calmed down significantly and they are now colouring in their Miss Piggy colouring book. Emma seems tired, so I just asked her if she wants an early nap. Her response? "No, don't want it." That was also her response this morning when I tried to put on her red shirt (for Chinese New Year) so she is running around in jeans and topless. I know how to pick my battles.

No comments: