Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Rite of Passage for little girls!

The other morning the girls came in just after 6. Since I don't technically need to get out of bed until 7 on weekday mornings, I told them it's too early and they can either cuddle in bed with me quietly, or go and play. They chose to go and play. I did not fall back asleep but I was resting peacefully and could hear their voices and giggles in the distance. At 7 I get up and start walking to the end of the hall as I know they are in the computer nook. I look on the ground and see a tuff of brown hair. My heart stops and I pick it up and realize it's Barbie hair. Phew. I get to the end of the hall and see two VERY guilty faces with something behind their back and a whole lotta human hair on the chair. I say "oh no, what did you do" and Emma says "we did a haircut." I said "on human hair or on barbie hair" and she says "two of them." I didn't need to ask as it was obvious from the gap on the right side of her head and her uneven bangs, that she did, indeed cut her own hair. When I showed her in the mirror what she had done she said "I want my long bangs back" and I said "well, that's what happens when you cut hair." Gotta love natural consequences. Makes my job sooooo easy! When I told John he said "did you put her in time out?" I proceeded to laugh and said "John, cutting your own hair is a rite of passage for girls everywhere. Find me a girl who hasn't done this and I will put her in time out!" lol So far, he hasn't found one! We still can't figure out if Maddie's hair was cut. Hers is wavier and hard to tell. She pled the fifth when I asked her (went mute, couldn't get her to admit anything)! Smart kid!

No comments: