Friday, March 7, 2008

Day one of March Break and I would like to go back to work please!

It's official! Being home with two toddlers is definately more exhausting than a classroom of 30 11-year-olds. Our day started at 6:30. Yes, 6;30 a.m. Now, I wonder how it is that during the week when I wake them up for "school" (daycare) I often have to actually wake them up at 7:15 and they are never awake before 6:45 which is when I get up. Yet on the first day of March Break, they are awake before I would be on a regular day. I don't get it. It's not even a weekend, as I know they sometimes plot against me to be up earlier on Sat. and Sun. It's a Friday. Must be an evil twin plot. Now of course I would rather sleep later than 6:30, but what really gets me is that I KNOW they will be cranky monsters and it will be a long day. And I was right. Emma had two time-outs for hitting Maddie and another one for hitting me. Madison threw all of her toys against the wall and threw one of her famous tantrums. They turned over their bowl of Cheerios, spilling the cereal and the milk all over the floor because they wanted a lollipop for breakfast, and not Cheerios. They fought over what movie they would watch, they screamed at each other (and me) over a toy phone. Emma had a 20 minute tantrum because I wouldn't let her have a lollipop until she had 3 bites of cereal. She had the first two and then she dug in her heels. So stubborn! I refused to back down and that led to the marathon tantrum. Oh, and did I mention this was all before 9:00 a.m. I wanted to cry. I had visions of spending a week with my girls playing in the snow, watching movies, and playing together. If today repeats itself, that is not going to happen. But, on the upside, they had a 3 hour nap which gave me 3.5 hours to myself (they talk and play in their cribs for half an hour after they wake-up). When they got up from their naps they were completely different people! So happy and a joy to be around. Let's hope they get enough sleep and my break is filled with happy days and happy daughters. If not, I will have to petition to have the school open in July and August so I can work through the summer! Kidding (sort of)!

No comments: