Saturday, March 1, 2008

And then it happened...

This morning the girls didn't call for me until almost 8:30. Pure bliss. I know they woke up around 7:45 as I heard them. They spent the next 45 minutes jumping in their cribs. I could hear the crib moving quite vigorously (at one point I thought they had both jumped out) and then I would hear Emma giggle and squeal and say "Again Maddie, Again!" When I finally went in to get them, all of their animals were on the floor and Madison was jumping up and down much to Emma's delight.

Later on in the morning, the girls, Sue and I were playing in the Princess castle. Well, we were sort of prisoners in it as we couldn't leave without facing the wrath of the twins. The princess castle has pictures of various princesses (Cinderella, or Cindela-la as they call her, Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine etc etc). At one point Sue asked them how many princesses there were. Madison was busy organizing her play food, but Emma said "one, two, free, four, fie, six, sewen, eight." Sue and I stared at each other. It just sort of happens. You teach them things and you are never really sure if they get it or not until all of a sudden they can count to eight and you thought they could only count to 4. The same thing happened with Maddie and her colours. While Emma calls everything blue, Madison can identify blue, yellow, pink and purple. When you ask her what colour her soosie is, she pulls it out of her mouth to check and consistently gets it right.

On the way home in the car the other day, they were eating their Princess snacks. Emma must have dropped one in her carseat because all of a sudden she said "uh, oh, Cinde-lala where r u?" I have mentioned before that I am struggling when getting them into their carseats. Thanks to a wise woman I work with, I have a new plan. I let them have one Princess fruit snack a day. I would always give them these on the way home from school anyway. Some days they would be asking for them at 8 in the morning, but I held my ground and told them they must wait until after "school." So, now I give them their snacks as I am getting them into their seats. It saves me a heck of a lot of struggle, and it is something I am giving them anyway. Genius. Pure genius.

I am sick today and have a touch of laryngitis, so of course my voice sounds very strange. The girls are so sweet, they keep coming over to me and saying "mummy sick?" and I squeak "yes, I am sick" to which they respond "uh-oh, you ok? What happeen?" Emma even came over to me and said "skinamarinky I wuv you." That made me feel one million times better. As I type this they are playing in the Princess castle together giggling, and saying "hiya" and "here you go" to each other. They did have a conversation about poop that they understood, but I didn't. That's probably a good thing. Well, I am being summoned back into the Princess castle (Madison is saying "come, come in now." Gotta go join in the fun!

No comments: